16 September 2009

My thoughts on The Biggest Loser

I used to be very against this show. I used to feel that it was mean to invite all the people to come to the show and then eliminate those who lost the least body fat percentage each week.

I still do not like that aspect of the show, but I do think it is great for motivation for people watching at home. I know it's not realistic the way they lose at that rate. I know they are on super-restrictive, extremely low-calorie diets and work out ridiculous hours daily, but it does show that these people are not lost causes. You can always choose to better yourself. It is never too late.

And what about Abby (was that her name?)...the lady who lost her entire family in a car accident??? I cannot even imagine. At all. She amazes me. But really, they all amaze me. It cannot be easy to get on national television to confront your personal demons and the reasons for why and how you got to be where you are. I commend these people and hope ALL of them have great success no matter how long they get to be on the show.

12 comments:

  1. I agree. There are many flaws in this show, but it does not fail to inspire me, move me, make me want to make better choices in my life. Did you see my liveblogging post from last night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I didn't see it...but I'm going now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definately relate to your point of view. This show walks a fine line, but at the end of the day... it's saving lives. How many TV shows can you say that about? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too. It is inspiring to see people breakthrough. I do have to have a little self talk and tell myself that my little 1.4 pound weekly losses are going to add up and I am taking it at a little slower pace. It is interesting to watch the emotional component of it all, huh? Hope you are having a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this show as inspiration and work out in afternoon while watching taped episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just sit and watch them all REALLY working out and think that I really and truly have NO excuses for not pushing myself harder than ever before, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love the show!! I know that they are in an ideal setting to loss weight BUT they bust there hump and work hard!! I also remember the little comedian lady that was from New Jersey during the season of the 50 states. She lost a bunch of weight AT HOME! I LIKE THE CAST THIS SEASON, AND IM EXCITED TO SEE THE TRANSFORMATIONS! The truth of the matter is that once youre ready...YOURE READY!! I, like Kyra, DVR the show and watch while on the treadmill or bike! That is a win-win!! As goofy as it may seem...I ask myself EVERY MORNING....."what am I going to do to make me feel proud?" Then, I go out there....AND DO IT!!!
    Dr. Mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn it! I missed the premiere. Even with TiVo my husband insists on being a TV hog. I'm going to get TiVo in my bedroom now too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree. I wish the didnt have to eliminate anybody, I can not wait to see what this season has in store for us! I really think there are some amazing and inspirational people this year! And boy did Jillian have a dirty mouth LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would truly love to see them do a season where they don't send anyone home to see how well they all do with that strict lifestyle for so long. Then they could do a follow up several months later to see who has kept it off and reward some of them then as well.

    If I didn't have to be away from my son for a long time I'd do the show in a heartbeat! I know it would be tough but it would be so worth it. I just can't leave my son that long!

    What's so sad is that those folks aren't out of the norm for the general public anymore. They are more and more a representative of our society as a whole and that's sad and scary all at the same time.

    I can't wait to see how well they all do! I think this is going to be the best season yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the show because your right, it shows that everyone can have a 2nd chance.

    ReplyDelete